Newborn – Session Info
Welcome, I’ve put together some helpful tips to ensure parents are well prepared for our newborn photo sessions. Newborn photos are a magical way of capturing one of the most special times in your life, so it makes sense to prepare well so we can achieve the best result possible.
- We require babies to be 6 – 18 days new for newborn photography.
- It’s best to book well in advance, if we know your due date we can schedule a position around that time and fine tune it when bub arrives. We have limited bookings for newborns as we are busy with wedding photography as well.
- We require a sleeping baby. A tired baby with a full tummy photographs best. We have a private area where you can feed on arrival.
- If you’re not breast feeding ensure you bring enough formula to last the session.
- The baby should be dressed in comfortable loose clothing to prevent marks on the skin.
- Parents need to be flexible with feeding times, sometimes milk top ups are required to ensure a co-operative baby.
- Our studio is purpose built and very warm. Babies are very sensitive and require good warmth to be comfortable. I suggest parents dress adequately for this warmth.
- Don’t forget to bring the babies dummy if you use one.
- Generally a newborn session goes for 2.5 – 3.5 hours depending on baby co-operation. Huge patience is required from parent’s so please bring it with you, they say ‘’ never to work with kids or animals’’ for a reason. We have seating for you to watch your little model in action.
- It’s not always peaceful and quiet. There’s going to be crying. They look so peaceful and sleepy in the photos, right? Well they are not always that way. Babies cry. Our job is to deal with the crying baby, calm them and make them comfortable as quickly as possible. My wife will try to do the soothing as Mum’s and Dad’s represent everything safe in their baby’s world and it is often hard to get the baby happily back from Mum or Dad.
- Newborn sessions are not always clean and tidy, in fact they are hardly ever are. There will be poo, wee and/or milk vomits. We are used to this and there is no need for alarm, it’s usually on our wraps and easily cleaned up.
- Bring extra nappies, wet ones, and lots of love to my newborn studio, it’s a magical time that won’t be forgotten.